Dear High School student!
Your college experience has the potential to be the best experience of your life. If you had an amazing experience in High School, just wait until you do College. Have you wondered what to expect about your upcoming College experience?
Whether you decide to stay in state or decide to move out of state. Even if you decide to do a Community College the first years and finish on a big University. I strongly believe there is not one way to do College. With that being said, here are five things I wish I had know before going to College:
- Get used to calling the teachers "Professor" and sometimes even "Doctor". Yes, you will take one class with that professor who worked hard on their Doctor's degree and will make you call them that way.
- Your classmates are as scared as you are! Man I wish I had known this that first semester. I felt lost and did not want to ask for any help. Don't harm yourself. Ask questions, get some answers! (wise words Ariel, wise words).
- When you apply for a job they will not look at your grades! I was so concerned about my grades during College. Now please, don't think I am saying you can just pass all your classes with a D or a C and get on with it but rather that if there is a very difficult class for you, get through it. To me, that was Chemistry. I was so happy to get it over with. (Check out the images below)
- Don't get frustrated when a Professor greets you by saying that their class is hard, that no one has gotten an A, or anything in that line. Take a deep breath, do your work, and get on with it. I made two mistakes when this happened to me. First, I dropped the class to get another professor but the other professor gave so many assignment it wasn't worth it. And then, for another one I said to myself "I am gonna beat that"... I wasted my time! No matter all the extra time I poured into that class, he never gave me an A. In fact, I was one of the few B's in her class AND the only student to not have to take her final exam. Maybe not doing the final exam was a cool thing, but totally not worth the frustration of never seeing an A.
- Don't go off of what others say about a professor. I took classes with some professors that people would tell me they were really bad. However, those two specifically were two of my best classes during my experience. Don't live off of someone else. Dare to do it! Embrace the class and remember that your "boss" will not look at your grade and will not care for your experience in the class.
So there you have it.
These five truths about going to College.
There are many things to expect from College, but these five are mostly not talked about. I really wish someone had told me back then. These would have made my experience even better.
But what if you decide not to go to College? I got you too! Stay tuned because I am sharing more on that NEXT.